MIT will be providing packing supplies and professional moving crews from Olympia Office Movers to assist in your relocation from Sidney-Pacific. Please follow the below instructions to ensure a fast and easy move.
MIT is supplying a moving kit to each resident, which contains everything needed to completely pack your apartment for the move.
|2||Book Boxes||16x12x12||Books, CDs, etc.|
|4||3.1 Boxes||18x18x18||Pots, Pans, Shoes, etc.|
|2||4.5 Boxes||24x18x18||Linses, Clothing, etc.|
|10||Bubble wrap (ft.)|
If you need additional packing supplies, please contact Ioana at [email protected]
Follow the below packing instructions to avoid damage or loss during your move:
Please do not seal boxes containing your most fragile items, such as dishware and glassware. This will allow the professional mover to verify that the items are safely packed before sealing the box.
Do not pack your hanging clothes, leave them on hangers in your closet. The crew will load all hanging items into wardrobe boxes on move day.
Protect the Contents
- Be sure to properly protect your contents within the packing box.
- When possible, use the original boxes to pack electronics.
- Use the supplied Bubble Wrap and packing paper or towels, blankets, or clothes to pack fragile items such as picture frames, mugs, alarm clocks, etc.
- Make certain that items in the boxes are secure enough so that they cannot move around inside. Use clothing, towels, blankets, or crumpled newspaper to fill open spaces.
- Be sure to put any liquids in a sealed plastic bag to avoid leaking and destroying other contents
Watch What You Pack
There are some things you should move on your own as MIT does not insure against loss or damage:
- Jewelry, coins, cash, and collectibles.
- Items of intangible value.
Distribute the Weight
To avoid over-stressing the boxes, please pack heavier items in smaller boxes.
- Don’t put all of your books in the same box.
- Mix books with lighter items such as sweaters and bedding. This is also a good way to keep your books in good condition.
- It is also a good idea to place the heavier objects as close to the center of the box as possible to minimize the risk of breaking the box.
Secure and Seal Your Items
- Boxes: In constructing and sealing your boxes, pay close attention to the quality of the closure. We suggest the use of 2-3 inch wide pressure sensitive plastic tape. You will need three strips of tape for both the top and the bottom of the box. Do not use masking tape or string. A roll of packing tape is included with our supply kit.
- Carpets & Rugs: Make sure your carpets and rugs are rolled tightly, secured with tape along three points, and covered in plastic if you want to keep them free from dust.
- File Cabinets & Desks: Be sure to tape all drawers closed, and cover the finished surfaces with plastic or cardboard to prevent minor scratches during handling. Store any loose hardware in one of your boxes.
- Shelves: Separate the shelves from the frame, and tape them together tightly. Store any loose hardware in one of your boxes.
- Refrigerators: Unplug your fridge TWO DAYS before move out. Make sure your fridge is completely defrosted and dry at the time of pickup. Secure loose items inside of the fridge. Tape the door shut. Bundle and tape the power cord to the back of the fridge, behind the cooling coils so it is not “dangling” on the ground.
- Trunks and Luggage: Make sure that these items are locked or securely taped to prevent the contents from spilling during handling.
Box labels are included in your moving kit. Every box and furniture piece must be labeled. The following information must be recorded in the label:
- Your full name
- Your new room assignment
- Your cell phone number
On move day a professional mover will arrive at your door. They will load all your belongings into bins and carts. Then, they will walk with you to your new apartment and unload your belongings.
If you are not present on move day, the professional mover will relocate your belongings to your new apartment without you. However, they will supply a written inventory of which items were relocated for your reference.
MIT highly recommends that you are present on move day.