In the U.S. alone, approximately 8.6 million students live on campus in dorms, accounting for around 12% of all rental units in the country, according to Finances Online. If you are thinking of living on campus as a college student, consider hiring academic movers. Academic movers are professional movers who specialize in assisting college students to settle into their dorm rooms on campus by moving their furniture and belongings into the space. Let’s look at how academic movers can make your life easier.
What Are the Benefits of Hiring Academic Movers?
Whether this is your first time moving to a college, or if you simply require assistance with moving your furniture into your new dorm, academic movers are the way to go. Academic movers are not only experienced when it comes to navigating a variety of local campuses in the area but they are also well-versed in how to handle different types of furniture in smaller, more limited spaces. There are a few advantages to hiring academic movers to help settle into your new college lifestyle.
- They know the layout of your college or university: Professional academic movers are well-versed in the layout of the college or university they move students into, helping them to easily navigate to your dorm room without hassle. Moving in alongside professionals who specialize in academic moving can also help you to learn more about the best pathways that are open and available to your dorm.
- They are familiar with rules and regulations: Not all colleges and universities operate with the same set of rules. Hiring academic movers who are familiar with the regulations in place at your chosen college is highly recommended. They can guide you in terms of prohibited items, furniture, and belongings that may not be allowed while you are living on-site.
- They know where to park: A luxury benefit of working with college movers is that they know what days are available for parking and/or moving and which areas are best for moving new furniture into the dorm areas of the campus. If you choose to move into a new college, you may be unsure where to begin. You are also much more likely to take a longer route than necessary while moving your furniture on your own without the assistance of hired dorm room movers.
- They are trained: Not only are professional college dorm room movers experts in knowing the layout(s) of various college campuses, but they are also responsible for keeping up to date with the latest training required for the job. Academic movers must typically undergo specialized training to understand the rules and regulations that must be enforced at all times, especially while working on a college campus and when surrounded by students.
Do I Need Academic Movers?
Whether this is your first time moving into a college dorm or you are looking for a way to seamlessly transfer to a new place of living, you may be asking yourself if you need academic movers. You may need to consider hiring academic movers to assist you if the following is true.
- Inexperience: You have little to no experience when it comes to moving. This is especially true if you are moving out of your family home for the first time.
- Unfamiliarity: You just moved to the area and are unfamiliar with the college campus or dorm. While you may have a campus map, you may be unsure of how to best navigate the college campus you are choosing to live on and require assistance to get around while moving your stuff.
- Stress: You are simply looking for a way to reduce the stress of moving into a dorm while mitigating the hassle of navigating new hallways and checking rules and regulations yourself.
How Can I Find the Right Academic or College Movers?
Once you have made the decision to hire help to move into your new college dorm, you will need to know what to look for before choosing a college or academic mover. Before hiring an academic mover or signing any moving contract, be sure to review a few things.
- They have permission: Ensure that the college mover you select is permitted to move furniture and belongings into the dorm area of the college or university you are attending. It’s also advisable to verify that any licensing that is presented to you is current and up to date.
- They are insured: You should also always inquire about the insurance that an academic mover or moving company holds, as this is extremely important. Movers who take on the task of lifting heavy furniture that you own put you at legal and financial risk if they are not properly covered with adequate insurance. Always verify that any moving company (for college students or traditional residential properties) is fully compliant with any insurance requirements necessary at the time.
- They know your campus: If you are planning to go out of your way to hire professional academic movers, you should seek college movers who are well-versed in the campus layout that you will be living in. Hiring a basic moving company or an academic moving provider that is unfamiliar with your college campus will not provide any added benefit to the process. With an academic mover that understands the ins and outs of a particular college or university, you will also gain valuable insight into how to best navigate the campus to get to your dorm as quickly as possible.
- They are experienced: Before settling on someone to hire to assist you with moving into your new dorm room, consider the experience of the mover, both personally and professionally. A well-seasoned academic mover will be excited to showcase the experience they have under their belt along with the schools and universities they have worked with in the past. Finding an academic mover who has a lot of experience is key to making the most out of the time spent with the mover during the actual move-in process itself.
- They have a good personality: As with hiring anyone, it’s important to seek out an academic mover who is not only intelligent and well-versed regarding the campus you are moving onto, but one that also meshes well with your own personality. Working with an academic mover that you get along with is much easier than working with someone who may be rude, stubborn, or unwilling to work with you cooperatively throughout the move-in process. Always take the time to conduct interviews with those you are thinking of hiring as your preferred college dorm movers, especially if you intend to spend time with them while moving in.
Working together with an academic moving company is one of the best ways to move to a new campus. With the help of a professional academic mover, discover more about the campus you will be living on, gain insight into the best and most direct traffic routes, and learn which rules and regulations you must abide by at all times. Academic movers offer so much more than traditional movers, helping college students to feel much more comfortable during their transition to a brand-new place of living. For more information or to get started with our services, call Olympia Office Movers today!